Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

If you are a mom, I hope you had a good Mother's Day.  I had a great one.  It started with one of my favorite things - a yummy breakfast sandwich from the restaurant down the street.  And the Husband surprised me with a beautiful card and a wonderful purple mum.  It ended with ice cream, which was suggested by the Toddler.  She is definitely all mine :)

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I would share a yummy sounding recipe I found in Southern Living magazine. 

For the record, I do not live in the South.  I am also not from the South.  In fact, I think the farthest South I have ever been (excluding Disney World) is Washington D.C.  And yet, I am enamored with the South.  Thus, my subscription to Southern Living.

The recipe that caught my eye was "English Muffin French Toast".  The reason it caught my eye was because it was on the "Healthy Indulgences" page.  It looks heavenly.  It contains eggs and maple syrup (healthy?).  But maybe it made the cut because it doesn't have any butter?

I haven't made this yet, and the Husband passed on making it for me this morning.  But maybe you can make it and invite me over?

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 English muffins, split
  • Vegetable cooking spray
  • 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • Toppings: chopped fresh strawberries, chopped fresh nectarines
 Preparation
1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Place English muffins in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish, overlapping edges. Pour egg mixture over muffins. Cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
2. Remove muffins from remaining liquid, discarding liquid.
3. Cook muffins, in batches, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until muffins are golden. Stir together yogurt and syrup until blended; serve with muffin French toast and toppings.

Southern Living suggests pairing the English Muffin French Toast with a "Mom-Mosa"

Ingredients
  • Orange bitters
  • 6 tablespoons lemon liqueur
  • Champagne or sparkling wine
  • Garnish: lemon rind twists
Preparation
Place 2 to 3 dashes of orange bitters in each of 6 Champagne flutes or glasses. Add 1 Tbsp. lemon liqueur to each, and stir. Top each with       Champagne or sparkling wine; garnish with lemon rind twist, if desired.


Doesn't that sound yummy and fabulous???

But what really sold me on these recipes is that they contain five "good-for-you ingredients" (according to Southern Living):
  1. multi-grain muffin
  2. buttermilk
  3. orange and red fruit
  4. greek yogurt
  5. champagne!!
See, this is why I like the South.  I always knew that champagne is good for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.