Thursday, September 22, 2011

Salisbury Steaks

This is another meal that reminds me of what my mom cooked when I was growing up.  Except my mom would buy the frozen Salisbury steaks (sorry to rat you out mom!).  But they were so good.  I remember devouring them!

So when I saw a recipe for them in Better Homes, I knew I had to try it.  It calls for ground turkey, but I decided to do half ground turkey, half ground sirloin.  I did that for a few reasons: (1) I figured the turkey would be too dry by itself; and (2) I wanted to double the recipe and all I had was the ground turkey and the ground sirloin!

This recipe is awesome!  I mean really, I started to pick the mushrooms out of the sauce "just to taste" and it was down hill from there since I found myself stealing pieces of steak from my daughter's plate and taking spoonfuls of sauce out of the skillet.  I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if I licked my plate when I was done with the meal.  That's how much I enjoyed it.

Also, I was so excited about the meal that I forgot to take a picture of it plated.  So you will only see the final product in the skillet (and that picture was taken after we had eaten and I had started cleaning everything up!).


Salisbury Steaks
recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
Ingredients:
1lb uncooked ground turkey
1 envelope beef-flavored onion soup mix (half of a 2.2oz pkg)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T butter
2 C sliced mushrooms
1/4 C reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 C dry red wine (or chicken broth)
1/4 C tomato paste


Instructions:
  • In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 2 T of soup mix, and 1 T of the Worcestershire sauce and mix well.  Shape mixture into 4 oval patties about 1/2 inch thick.
  • In a large skillet cook patties in hot oil on med-high heat for 3 minutes or until browned, turning once.  Remove from skillet.
  • In the hot skillet, cook the garlic in butter for 30 sec.  Add mushrooms.  Cook and stir for 5 mins or until tender.  Add broth, wine, tomato paste, remaining soup mix, and remaining Worcestershire sauce.  Stir, scraping up browned bits.  (AFC Note:  I like a less tomatoey sauce, so I added more chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce).
  • Return patties to skillet, spoon sauce over patties.  Cover and cook on med-low heat about 8 mins or until done.
I served the steaks with the white bean mash as suggested by BHG (recipe here) and some roasted butternut squash.  PERFECTION!!!

Updated: I'm linking up to the blog hop at Happy Hour Projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.