Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday Edition: Kitchen Tip


"Freezer Jam" originally uploaded to Flickr by Our Lady of Disgrace
 Maybe I am late to the party on this one, but I discovered a new way of opening a jar last night.  The Husband bought these huge jars of pasta sauce and I cannot open them for the life of me.

Given that the Husband wasn't home, the Toddler is of no help when it comes to opening objects, and our jar opener broke, I was on my own in solving this problem.

I tried whacking the lid with the handle of a butter knife.  No go.  I tried whacking the bottom of the jar with the palm of my hand.  Uh-no, still not budging.

Then, in an act of genius (at least I thought so), I used that little nubbin (what else do you call it??)  that sticks out of a bottle opener and slid it between the lip of the lid and the jar.  Gave it a little push - and - POP!  Off came the lid.

So that's my tip - use the nubbin of a can opener to open stubborn jars!  How do you open stubborn jars?

3 comments:

Comments make my day! Please leave one.