Wednesday, November 30, 2011

French Fried Onion Chicken

You guys.  I do not believe that no one has told me about French Fried Onions.  You know - the ones in a can that you use to make green bean casserole?  They are SO GOOD!

I volunteered to make a veggie dish for the Toddler's Thanksgiving feast at daycare.  I decided to make the green bean casserole since I had heard it was easy.  I had never actually made it before and had actually never even tried it.  Well, when I was making the dish I decided to sample some of the onions.  And I was hooked.  I couldn't stop eating them.  Right out of the can!

I had bought the bigger "stay fresh" pack of onions since I really didn't know how much I would need.  I used about half the container for the green beans and decided to use the remaining half to crush and put on chicken.  So I just whipped this together in a few minutes.  It is simple and, as the Husband said, "it has a good taste."  But I think I will eventually tweak the recipe to get even more flavor and depth.  Let me know if you have any suggestions!

French Fried Onion Chicken
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1-2 C crushed french fried onions
salt and pepper
1 T dried parsley (AFC note: I added this for color!)
optional: 1 package sliced mushrooms and 1 sweet onion sliced into rings


Instructions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 F and spray a baking dish with a non-stick spray.
  • Spread the crushed onion onto a plate or parchment paper.  Season the onion with salt and pepper and parsley. 
  • Wash the chicken in cold water and leave chicken damp.  Alternatively, you can wash the chicken and then dip the chicken in a beaten egg or an egg white.  The goal is to have the chicken damp in order to have the crushed onion stick to it.
  • Roll the chicken in the crushed onion on both sides so the crushed onion sticks to the chicken breast.
  • Place the onion covered chicken into the baking dish and cook the chicken for about 20 mins or until done (will vary depending on how thick your chicken is).  
  • To get a golden brown color, I stuck the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes after it had baked and was almost done.
Optional: spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray (or add 1 T of olive oil or butter) and add onion rings to saute.  After a few minutes, add the mushrooms to soften and brown.  Add spray, oil or butter as needed to prevent sticking and burning.  Top the chicken with the mushroom and onion mixture.

Updated: I'm linking up to the linky party at Serenity Now!

2 comments:

  1. My husband absolutely loves fried onions! Love that this uses chicken, great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.