Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beef and Carrot Ragu

I'm always on the lookout for slow cooker recipes.  They are such a life saver (as long as I remember to prep everything before I go to work!).  So I was excited when I saw that December's issue of Better Homes had a section featuring several slow cooker recipes.

I decided to make the Beef and Carrot Ragu.  My decision was made based on the picture alone!  Well that and the very short ingredient list (only 6 things).  It turned out pretty good, except I did not follow the recipe to a T - I subbed in plain tomato paste for tomato paste seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano - so it turned out a little more bland than expected.  To remedy the blandness, I just added 1/2 tsp of dried basil and 1/2 tsp of dried oregano right before serving and that worked like a charm!


Beef and Carrot Ragu
From Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1 to 1.5 lb boneless beef short ribs
salt and pepper
10 garlic gloves
1 8oz package peeled fresh baby carrots, chopped
1 1lb Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 6 oz. can tomato paste with basil, garlic and oregano
1/2 C water or red wine
optional: Fresh basil leaves or fresh parsley leaves

Instructions:
  • Trim excess fat from meat and cut meat into chunks.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place beef in a 3 1/2 - 4 qt. slow cooker.
  • Smash garlic cloves with the flat side of a chef's knife or meat mallet.  Separate and discard skins from garlic.  Place smashed garlic on beef.  Add carrots and tomatoes to slow cooker.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste with water or wine.  Pour over meat and veggies.  Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
  • Stir well before serving.  Top with fresh herbs if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I love my slow cooker, though I've been on a mostly chicken kick lately. But this sounds great! I've been looking for some new slow cooker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love slow cooker recipes, looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.