Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Braised Red Cabbage with Sausage

So here is another one of my cabbage recipes that I mentioned last week!

I love red cabbage, but usually buy the jarred sweet and sour cabbage (which is probably so bad for you but tastes so good!).  This time I decided I wanted to buy red cabbage and see what I could do with it.  While I was shopping I knew that I wanted to use apples and sausage with it, but I hadn't read a recipe for what I wanted to make.  I figured I could just wing it when I got home.  And with a little help from the interwebs, I was able to come up with something. 

Do you like red cabbage?  Ever have the jarred stuff? Mmmm....


Braised Red Cabbage with Sausage
Inspired by Cooking Light
Ingredients:
4 links chicken sausage w/sweet apples, casings removed (AFC tip: I buy pre-cooked sausage)
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 C thinly sliced red onion
6 C thinly sliced red cabbage
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 T red wine vinegar
1-2 T honey
2/3 C beer
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
pepper to taste
bay leaf
















Instructions:
Heat vegetable oil in large sauce pot over medium-high heat.  Cut sausage into rounds and add to the skillet.  Add onion. Once the sausage is browned, add cabbage and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.  Cover pot and reduce heat.  Simmer for 20 mins while stirring occasionally.  Discard bay leaf and serve.

Updated: I am linking up to Happy Hour Projects

7 comments:

  1. I love cabbage, braising it sounds yummy! Love that it has sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm - haven't had the jarred. I am going to have to look for it. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a huge cabbage kick lately. I've never tried jarred cabbage though. I didn't even know it was sold that way. Sausage and cabbage were made to be eaten together. This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually grew red cabbage this last summer, but I didn't use too much of it because I wasn't sure how to cook it. Your recipe looks tasty! It would be a great one for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that looks delicious. I've never tried cooking red cabbage before but now I want to!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.