Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday Edition: Kitchen Tip

"Honey Roasted Virginia Peanuts" uploaded to Flickr by Nutsinbulk
Hey there!  How is your week going?  Mine is going pretty well.  I actually didn't eat a lot of junk yesterday.  So I felt great and was proud of myself.  I even was able to avoid having cheese, pepperoni and crackers with the Husband!  Woohoo.

One of my motivations is you guys.  The others are some "healthy" cooking mags that I picked up at the store over the weekend.  I have been reading them and re-reading them.  In addition to great recipes they have some tips too.  Like this one from Clean Eating mag - when you buy all-natural peanut butter (or any type of nut-butter) and you have to stir in all the oil that sits at the top, you should stir in the oil and then store the butter jar upside down.  That way the next time you open the butter, you don't have to deal with a big oily mess on top of the jar. . . it will be on the bottom, making it much easier to stir!

What are your tips for stirring oil into all-natural butters?  Do you buy all-natural butters?  I have a couple packs of your typical PB in my pantry.  But I do have almond butter in my fridge.

8 comments:

  1. I like Peanut Butter and Companys pbs. They don't have so much oil, but are more natural. And i love the flavors - dark chocolate and the bees knees are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best tip ever! I had never thought to keep the jar turned over - duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip...I am going to have to start doing that. Started buy an all natural peanut butter when we moved here to Scotland. Although after being back in the States for a few weeks and having the old fashioned Skippy, I am afraid it won't taste as good any more! Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never thought of that - thanks for the great tip!

    Another tip for PB: pour a little of that oil out before mixing to cut down some of the fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband actually sells nuts and natural peanut butter. I never thought to store is upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip Laura!
    Grumpy - what on does your hubby sell??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!!! You left me a sweet note the other day about my avocado pit and I wanted to stop back by and tell you that the pit was still on the knife when I pulled it out, it looks like it's just sitting in the air posing for a pic!!! LOL. I'm happy to know about your blog! Always keeping my eyes open for healthy recipes!!! Glad to know about you and excited to be your newest follower!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.