First things first - if you do not have one already, get yourself a slow cooker! They are pretty much everywhere- Target, Walmart, Macy's, etc. I have a pretty basic one - it just has a dial that turns to "off" and then "lo" or "high". But there are some pretty fancy models that have gadgets that allow you to set the time the cooker turns off. That would come in handy if your recipe calls for cooking at low for 7 hours but you will be gone for 9.
When I finally upgrade, I will probably check out at least these two:
|Ooh! Fancy - it has a thermometer!|
But getting back to the point of this post. Once you have your slow cooker, now you can make the most fabulous tacos ever, courtesy of REAL SIMPLE magazine!!
2 cups store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
18 corn tortillas
1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the pork and turn to coat.
- Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F.
- Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and bake until warm, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using 2 forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with the tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, lime, and extra salsa.