Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another Slow Cooker Meal: Red Beans and Rice

I tried this recipe out earlier in the week.  Well, I kinda made-due with several of the ingredients.  It was super easy to make, but I think that if I make it again, I will follow the recipe verbatim. 

The recipe is from Southern Living magazine and can be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker.  Since I was going to be in meetings all day from work and then traveling too and from a client that is almost in the next state, I wanted dinner to be ready when I got home.

Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried red kidney beans
  • 1/2 pound andouille smoked chicken sausage, thinly sliced
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
  • 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • Garnish: sliced green onions
Slow Cooker directions: Stir together first 7 ingredients and 7 cups of water in a 4 qt slow cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 7 hours or until beans are tender.  Serve with rice.

My substitutions: turkey kielbasa instead of the sausage and cajun seasoning instead of the creole seasoning.

It looked pretty good when I made it:


And the house smelled delicious when I got home! 


I served with carrots!
But, the kielbasa had no taste and overall, the dish was kind of bland.  So next time I make it, I will follow the recipe verbatim and probably make it on the stove top.  Let me know if you make it according to recipe and how it came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.