Monday, May 16, 2011

Easy Grilled Chicken Dinner

There are so many things that I love about spring - and one of them is grilling!  I typically grill all year round, but I live in the Northeast so it can get tricky with snow.  This year we had 3-4 feet of snow on our deck.  I couldn't even see the grill!!


A view from my driveway
So as soon as everything melted, I was able to get out there and start grilling!  I threw this dinner together while making sure the Toddler stayed out of trouble!

Grilled Chicken
4 split chicken breasts (you can use boneless chicken breasts instead)
1 T olive oil
1/2 - 1 package Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix
1 T dry parsley (optional)
  • remove skin from chicken, wash and dry
  • in container or large zip-top bag, place chicken, dressing mix, parsley and olive oil
  • mix so the chicken is covered with spices (you can marinate the chicken for awhile, or grill right away)
  • grill until done
Broccoli and Spinach Rice Pilaf
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 T - 1 T olive oil
1 pkg boil in bag brown rice (can use white rice)
1 bag frozen broccoli pieces (not spears)
2 handfuls (or more) baby spinach
1/2 can chicken broth
  • coat skillet with olive oil, add onion and cook until tender, then add garlic until fragrant
  • meanwhile, boil water and cook rice for 5 minutes
  • add chicken broth, rice and broccoli to onion and garlic mix in skillet, mix and let simmer for 2-3 minutes 
  • add spinach a half handful at a time, stirring in between additions
  • let simmer on low until rice and spinach are cooked and broth has evaporated (you can add more broth if you want)


Final Product after throwing in some dark brown rice I had from leftover Thai food!
 I threw the rice pilaf together at the last minute.  I got the idea from a Country Crock recipe I saw in a magazine, but made a lot of modifications.  I really liked it and so did the Husband and Toddler!  Here is a picture of the meal:

1 comment:

  1. The flavor on the outside of the chicken was pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.