Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Tip of the Day

"Day 515 / 365 - Pots and Pans" by  xJasonRogersx on Flickr

Do you ever feel like you can never get your stainless steel pots and pans clean enough?  I do.  Especially when I make eggs!  So how do you get your fancy pots and pans back to there glowing selves? 

What I do: after the damage is done, I fill the pan almost to the brim with water and boil the water.  Once the water boils, I bring it back down to a simmer and scrape all the gunk off with a spatula or pan scraper.  Then I turn off the burner and let the water somewhat cool.  Then, I pour it out and give the pan a good scrub with a scrubby brush and soap.  Usually that works.

But sometimes it is just really bad.

"Frying pan with burnt flour" by rmkoske on Flickr
 That's when you add baking soda!  Fill the pan with water and add 1/4 C baking soda.  Simmer mixture until no liquid is remaining.  Chalky substance will coat pan.  Wipe the pan clean with a sponge or scraper and wash with soap and water. (Courtesy of Real Simple Magazine, April 2011).  You can also check out The New Homemaker for other ways to clean your pots and pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.