Monday, May 23, 2011

Grilled Pork Chops with Simple Sides

I typically prefer to cook chicken rather than pork.  And I think I figured out why!  It's because I don't cook pork very well.  I overcook it.  I always re-discover this when I go out to eat and order a pork chop.  It comes out so tender and juicy, which is totally opposite from the way my pork chops come out at home!

But cooking chicken every night can be so boring, right?

So I picked up some thin cut, bone-in chops at the butcher the other day and decided I would grill them up and serve them with some simple sides.  I did this recipe on a weekend.  If I were to do it on a weeknight, I would forgo the "peach mango salsa".

Grilled Pork Chops
4-6 thin cut, bone-in pork chops
salt and pepper
instructions: season the chops with salt and pepper, throw on pre-heated grill until done (I have no advice for you about how long that should take, so I recommend you get advice from a professional, like Martha or Emeril, or see here!)

Peach Mango Salsa (adapted from this recipe)
4 peaches, thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 mango, chopped
1 T honey
juice of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp cinnamon
instructions: slice the onion and place in bowl of ice water for 10 minutes, drain and blot onions dry.  I think this is supposed to make the onions less pungent??  I am not really sure, but I did it anyway!









Then combine onions with peaches and mango.  Add honey, lemon juice and cinnamon and combine all ingredients.  serve as side or over pork chops












Simple Sides
I served the above with a salad (it was a pre-made bagged salad.  instructions: open and add dressing if desired) and green beans (they were frozen.  instructions: open bag, cook in boiling water until thawed and warm).

It came out pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. I love pork chops!! great pictures...come by my blog if you get a chance.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.