Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sugar Snap Pea Salad

I made this recipe as a side for my yummy bacon cheesburgers over the Memorial Day weekend.  But I could easily make this salad on a weeknight to go with grilled chicken or some other simple main dish.

Suprisingly, this recipe was in the December 2010 issue of Family Circle. But I definitely think it is a spring/summer salad! 

Sugar Snap Pea Salad
Ingredients
  • 1/4  cup  white balsamic vinegar
  • 2  teaspoons  Dijon mustard
  • 1/8  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/8  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 3/4  cup  extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2  teaspoons  chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 1/2  pounds  sugar snap peas, strings removed
  • 2  cups  grape tomatoes, halved
  • 8  ounces  bocconcini (small mozzarella nuggets), drained
  • 1  cup  slivered baby carrots
  • 1/2  cup  pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
  • 1/3  cup  cup slivered red onion

Directions

1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly. Stir in oregano. Cover and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high
heat. Add snap peas and simmer 4 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
3. Place snap peas in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, bocconcini,
carrots, olives and red onion. Toss with 1/3 cup of the dressing.

My variation:  I didn't have white balsamic vinegar, nor did I want to buy it.  I substituted white wine vinegar and a touch of balsamic vinegar instead.  Instead of bocconcini, I just used sliced fresh mozzerella. 

 
Verdict: Oh Yum!  It was so good.  The Husband and Toddler loved it.  So did my mother and father in-law! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.