Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tofu Rollatini

Both the Husband and I feel like we eat chicken every night.  It gets to be so boring! 

I like steak, but I don't really cook it that well.  I cannot cook pork to save my life - it is always too dry.  Sometimes I can find turkey breast at the store, but I feel it's just the same as chicken. 

Enter: tofu.

I've cooked tofu for several years.  Our friends are always surprised that the Husband eats it.  But he does, and he says he likes it.  The Toddler likes it too!

I am always looking for new ways to make it since tofu stir fry can get quite boring!  Usually I look at recipes that call for meat and than see if I can substitute tofu for the meat.  Or replace a portion of the meat with the tofu.  Pasta dishes are another good way to sneak in tofu since the tofu can sub for or replace ricotta cheese.

So when I found a recipe for rollatini using lasagna noodles, veggies and ricotta cheese, I thought it would be a great idea to replace at least a part of the cheese with tofu.  The results were pretty good, although I did run out of pasta sauce, so that was a bummer. 

Do you feel like you cook the same thing over and over again?  How do you get out of that rut?

Tofu Rollatini
Ingredients:
8 lasagna noodles
1 package tofu, drained and pressed (soft would be fine, but my grocery store only has firm)
1 T dried minced onions
1 T dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 small container of part skim ricotta cheese
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 portions of jarred roasted red peppers, diced
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 jar of pasta sauce
optional: mozzarella cheese

Instructions:
Cook lasagna noodles according to instructions.  Meanwhile, crumble the tofu so it resembles cottage or ricotta cheese.



To a big mixing bowl, add the tofu, ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, spices, zucchini and roasted red peppers.  Mix to combine the ingredients:



Once ingredients are combined and the lasagna noodles are cooked and have cooled enough to handle, place a heaping portion of the mixture in a noodle and roll it up.  Place rolls in baking dish ( I think I used a 13x9?).  You may have to put a toothpick in the rolled noodle to hold it together.

For some of the noodles I folded the noodle before rolling.  For others I didn't fold!

All rolled up and ready to go!
After all of the rolls are in the baking dish, pour pasta sauce over the rolls, and if desired, add mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.


Since I didn't have enough sauce I chopped tomatoes and put on top!
When done, dish out a couple of the rolls and serve with a salad!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, these look delicious! I'm adding this recipe to my "to make" pile!

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive been trying to add more tofu dishes into my family's diet, this recipe looks great! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is vegetarian so am always looking for different recipes, these look and sound delicious

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.