Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Edition: Kitchen Tip

Do you ever feel so rushed during your day (or your week) that you are not sure how you are going to get everything done?  Yes?  Oh good, at least I am not alone.

But this week I feel the normal rush times ten.  Between out of state weddings, doctor appointments, days off from work, etc., etc., I just don't know when I am going to find time to grocery shop, let alone cook (and then blog about what I cooked!).  So this week I am going for super fast meals.  And my tip for you today (as if you didn't already know this) is to use your microwave!

But use it for more than popcorn and to warm up a plate of food.  Use it to cook your food.  Last night I made a really quick dish (which I will share tomorrow) and served fresh broccoli as a side.  I didn't want to dirty the veggie steamer and another pot, so instead I washed the broc, filled a Pyrex 1 qt. measuring cup half-way with water and added my broc to the cup.  Covered it with plastic wrap and put it in the microwave.  I cooked it until it was bubbling and the broccoli turned a little darker green - probably about 4-5 mins.  The length of time and the amount of water will vary depending on how much broccoli you use.

What do you cook in the microwave?  Please share!!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great tip! A friend of mine actually shared it with me the other day when I was taking some rice home from her party. She told me to add a teaspoon of water and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap to re-steam the rice. It's awesome and I'll never heat up rice any other way :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.