Monday, October 3, 2011

Harvest Stew

I am not entirely sure where my mom got this recipe, but she has been making it for years.  I am not even sure if this is the actual recipe, or if this is what it has just evolved to over time.  I have never written it down; just memorized it.  It's so good and it's one of my favorites to make in the fall!


Harvest Stew
Ingredients:
1 lb bulk sausage (or 1 lb of links, casings removed, sausage cut into rounds)
3-4 parsnips, cleaned and sliced
1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2-4 carrots, cleaned and sliced
1 15 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes (use juice!)
4-6 C chicken broth
3-4 sprigs of parsley, chopped


Instructions:
Spray a large stockpot with some cooking spray and add sausage.  Brown sausage over medium heat.  Once sausage is browned, add veggies and stir until fragrant (about 2 mins).  Add chicken broth, tomatoes and parsley.  Stir and let the soup come to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook until veggies are tender, about 45 mins to an hour.  Serve with bread and a salad.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! the stew looks great, family recipes are the best! I made a new blog if you want to check it, here's the link

    http://whatdidiate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.