Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Easy Pork Tenderloin

I love pork roasts.  With red cabbage and mashed potatoes.  That reminds me of Sunday dinners during my youth.  My mom would roast the pork with onions, which would get all crispy in the oven.  She would leave the onions in the pan and make a gravy from the drippings.  I think my mom and I would eat most of the onions before the plates got to the table!

I haven't been able to perfect my mom's roast and gravy, but I did make a pretty good pork tenderloin on the stove top the other night.  The pork takes about 30 mins and during that time you can make your sides.  In my case, it was red cabbage and mashed potatoes and cauliflower!


Easy Pork Tenderloin
Adapted from a Martha Stewart Recipe
Ingredients:
2 pork tenderloins - 1 lb. each, trimmed of fat
1-2 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced or chopped
1 C vegetable or chicken stock
1-2 tsp. sage or thyme

Instructions:
In a deep skillet with straight sides or stock pot, heat olive oil over high heat.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on pork and add pork to the hot pan to brown all of the sides, about 5-7 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pan and cook for 20-25 mins, until the pork reaches 150 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.  Turn the pork occasionally.

Remove pork from pan, wrap in foil, and let rest for 10 mins before slicing.

Optional: Keeping the drippings from the pork, add onions and saute over medium heat until soft.  Add the stock and the sage or the thyme as well as some pepper (and salt if desired).  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  If the gravy thickness is not your liking, add flour or a mixture of cornstarch and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please leave one.