Thursday, June 23, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner - Veggie Frittata

As I've mentioned before, I love breakfast for dinner.  It's typically fast and easy.  And there are so many variations - eggs, omelets, pancakes, waffles - that you should be able to find one that your entire family would enjoy!

For myself, I prefer making egg dishes.  High in protein and very versatile.  Frittatas are great since you can use whole eggs, egg whites (or a combination of the two) and load up on veggies (or not!).  If the Husband had his way, he would have pancakes or waffles with bacon.  I think the Toddler would be happy with either my way or the Husband's way!

There are dozens hundreds of frittata recipes.  I didn't follow any particular recipe for this frittata that I made.  And I would encourage you to experiment too!

Veggie Frittata
Ingredients:
olive oil cooking spray
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3-4 scallions, chopped
8 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1 C grape tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Spray oven safe frying pan with cooking spray, add pepper and onions, allowing them to saute for a few minutes.  Adjust heat accordingly - I typically use medium heat, but your stove may differ. 
Add scallions.


Continue sauteing the veggies until crisp-tender.  Meanwhile, combine eggs and egg whites and whisk together to break yolks.  Pour egg mixture over veggies and pre-heat your broiler.  You can stir the frittata while the eggs are not yet cooked, but once the eggs begin to solidify, leave the mixture be so it can cook from the bottom up and get a nicely browned bottom.  Once the eggs start to solidify, then I add the tomatoes and some S&P. 

After the majority of the eggs have cooked, I take the pan off the stove top and put the frittata under the broiler for a few minutes to cook the remaining eggs and brown up the top of it.  Slice and enjoy!



Some recipes call for milk in the egg mixtures.  Other recipes add cheese, either to the egg mixture or to the top of the frittata.  So there is lots of room for experimenting!  What's your favorite frittata recipe?  Anyone have one that uses bacon??

1 comment:

  1. I love fritattas! They are another great alternative for those who can't manage an omelet :)

    My fav involves spinach, artichokes, and smoked gouda.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Please leave one.